The annual, best-of-three series of rugby league matches between Queensland and New South Wales is on again. As one of Australia’s premier sporting events, the Queensland team and its supporters have six years of bragging rights. But as debate around whether the Maroons are too much for their opposition, or that the Blues finally has a team with the potential of breaking their opposition’s stranglehold, or that the game should or should not be played in Melbourne heats up, has anyone given any thought to snacks?
This is possibly the biggest Game Night going, and even though a traditional ‘dinner party’ approach would be out of place amongst the atmosphere, State of Origin deserves more than the bland old ‘chips and dips’ scenario.
So if you’re hosting game night at home and you’re looking for some easy-peasy (and relatively healthy) snacks to share, then let me share the following ideas with you from my archive of collected recipes.
- Oven Baked Potato Chips with a few tips from Nigella Lawson
- Former MasterChef™ dude Hayden Quinn offers a delicious salt and pepper squid dish
- 12 Pizza Recipes courtesy of the good folk at theKitchn
- Proscuitto and zucchini pies with feta thanks to taste.com.au
- A little Greek recipe from Australian Gourmet Traveller
It’s not too late to run to the shops and get your food on in time for game on!
And whichever team you’re hollerin’ for, good luck…